The vehicle registration office is by appointment only.

Sign-up for an appointment here.  

Review the vehicle process Q&A flowchart or call DSN 314-452-6620 for more information. 

If you have CAC access, you can go to the Vehicle Registration SharePoint to access forms and additional information.

If you have issues, please contact


Proof of Insurance: All vehicles require proof of insurance before they can be registered with the USARUER RMV. If your insurance company is USAA, we suggest calling them (American Toll-free Number, 800-531-8111 or German Toll-free Number, 00800-531-81110) before you arrive to establish your policy. You may also setup a policy with a local German insurance company after you in-process. There are a few insurance companies located within five minutes of the installation.


Vehicle Registration: To register your vehicle, you will need to provide proof of ownership (i.e., title or previous registration), orders, USAREUR Driver's License, CAC card, proof of vehicle inspection and the shipping document you received from the shipping VPC. Based on the year of your vehicle, you can register for up to three years at $45 per year. However, a three-year registration is only for brand new vehicles purchased in Germany.


POV Inspection Station:

Normal operating hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday to Friday

Friday (Walk-in hours until 3 p.m.)

Building: 222

DSN: 452-7426 or 06565-61-7426

Click here or scan the code above to schedule an inspection.


Required Inspection Items: Take a minute to review to informative signs posted along the driveway and ensure you have the required items below in your vehicle. 

  • First Aid Kit (DIN 13164)
  • Warning triangle
  • Without an AE Form 190-10 or 1901AA (Renewal Application), the inspectors will not begin the inspection.
  • For safety reasons, please wait at the stop sign until an inspector waves you forward.


Shipping your POV: 

  • Your vehicle will be shipped directly to the Spangdahlem AB vehicle processing center (VPC).
  • Before picking up from the VPC, the vehicle must be registered with Security Forces Pass and Registration, Vehicle Registration. You must have a valid USAREUR license to register vehicles.
  • Additionally, each vehicle must be inspected once it arrives.
  • Contact POV inspections for details, 314-452-7426. If you are driving from another European installation, you may be granted a 30-day grace period to drive with your current European Union registration.


Safety Considerations

Seat Belts: Seatbelts are mandatory at all times for all riders in the vehicle. Failure of you, or your passengers, to wear a seatbelt can result in a fine and a driving privilege suspension of 180 days.

Child Restraints: Use of child safety restraint systems is mandatory while operating a POV in USAREUR. Germany has authorized the use of Department of Transportation (DOT) approved child restraint systems.

Children 12 years old or younger, or shorter than 150 centimeters (4 feet, 11 inches), are required to use suitable child-restraint devices that have been approved by either the ECE-R 44/03, ECE-R 44/04, or DOT when these children are transported in a POV. Children must be seated in a rear seat if the POV has one. Children under 13 years old who weigh more than 22 kilograms (48 pounds) will use booster seats or other suitable approved devices designed for use with a vehicle’s three-point (lap and shoulder) seatbelts. Booster seats will not be used with two-point seatbelts (lap belts).


Driver's License: Getting a driver's license can be a frustrating process. With proper planning, most of that frustration can be mitigated. You must obtain a USAREUR Driver's License to drive and register vehicles in Germany.

To obtain a USAREUR Driver's License, all personnel stationed at Spangdahlem (active duty and civilians) must arrive with a current stateside driver's license in hand. If you do not arrive with a current stateside license, you may be required to attend the off-base German driving school, which is costly (between 1500-2000 Euro), and can cause extensive delays in the acquisition of a USAREUR Driver's License.

Note: The same requirement applies to all individuals (active duty and civilian) coming to Spangdahlem who wish to obtain a motorcycle license. You must arrive at Spangdahlem with a current stateside motorcycle license and Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) card valid in the last 3 years, in hand.

We highly encourage all parties wishing to obtain a USAREUR license to take their driver test online prior to arrival. Driver’s course and test are completed via Search USA-007 - U.S. Forces Driver's Training Program for Europe and USA-007-B-U.S. Forces Driver's Training Program for Europe- Final Couse Exam. Online testing is valid for 60 days from the date you test. (* Delete* Make sure to print your test results. Upon arrival you will attend the Local Conditions Safety Briefing, held at Newcomers Orientation every Wednesday or on Friday at the Wing Safety Office.) Spouses and dependents ages 17 and up can also take the online test if the CAC holder registers them on the website.  To do so, please use the Non-Government Personnel/Sponsored Account Registration. Dependents age 17 require an exemption to policy from USAREUR/HQ.

Once you receive your USAREUR Driver's License (active duty and civilians), you will need to apply for the German International Driver’s License/Permit (IDL/P). Because you are considered a resident of Germany, EU requires that you obtain an EU IDL/P. You will not be able to use a AAA International License here.

Note: visiting family or friends should consider obtaining a AAA International License if they plan on driving while visiting.  If you have a previously issued USAREUR license, it may still be valid, please contact our office for more information.

If you have orders to Spangdahlem AB, and you are leaving the UK, please retain your USAFE license as you PCS to Spangdahlem. You can transfer your license to the USAREUR system once you arrive and complete the Local Conditions Safety Briefing. In addition, you will need to complete the form 1901T and pay the license fee. If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the Vehicle Registration and Licensing Office at DSN: 314-452-6620.


State and Local Laws: State and local laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles, and these laws can vary by location. Verify and understand the German regulations for the following:

  • Seatbelt use
  • Child safety seats
  • Motorcycle operation
  • The use of cellphones and other digital devices while driving

Learn more about motor vehicle laws in your state at the State Laws page.

**NOTE: Hands-free devices must be used with mobile telephones while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide and on all German roadways**

We understand that it may be difficult to leave your place of work during our hours of operation (0800-1515).  We have a requirement to perform end of day inventory and forward the inventory to USAREUR Headquarters.  In an attempt to ease some of these issues, we offer appointment times to better accommodate individual schedules.  

If it is an urgent matter, call us at 452-6620, or stop by and see us in the office building 131, room 102. Email our org box for any other inquires.

  • Menu Item