SPANGDAHLEM AIR BASE, Germany --
Tax season has already begun, and assignments overseas do not serve as exemptions for filing tax returns. Do not worry - the Spangdahlem Tax Center is here to help. The Spangdahlem Tax Center is open Feb. 11 till June 17.
The Tax Center is located in Spangdahlem’s Legal Office, Building 125, on the first floor.
The Tax Center offers a free service to assist individuals with basic federal and state income tax returns. Tax returns will be prepared by Volunteer Income Tax Assistance which is a volunteer-ran organization that are certified by the Internal Revenue Service, at the Tax Center until Monday, June 17.
Clients will be served by appointment only, Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Preparation tips before you file:
Start gathering the necessary documents and information to file your taxes:
- Last year’s tax return (federal and state)
- Identification Card
- Social Security Cards for all people on your tax return (including spouse, children, other dependents)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers for a foreign spouse
- All W-2s
- Any documentation of interests, dividends, the sale of stock, or income from a second job
- All documentation relating to any rental property you own (including expenses of managing property)
- Records of any alimony received or paid
- Dependent child-care providers expenses (including their identification number)
- Bank account and routing number for Direct Deposit (you can split your refund into multiple accounts)
- You, and if you’re married, your spouse as well (or Form 2848, IRS Power of Attorney)
It is important to remember to bring any applicable documents listed above when coming to the Spangdahlem Tax Center for tax assistance.
Important information about the Tax Center:
- Eligible clients include military members E-1 through E-9 and O-1 through O-4 and their dependents only.
- New this year is the self-service kiosk. The self-service kiosk is available on a walk-in basis from 8-11 a.m., and 1-3 p.m. Tax volunteers will be available to answer your tax questions if you decide to use the new service. You may use our CAC enabled government computers, or you are welcome to bring your laptop. The legal office, unfortunately, does not have WIFI.
- Members are allowed a two-month extension to file a return because of being stationed overseas. Call us or come in to find out how this extension may apply to you.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call DSN 452-1040 or Comm. 0656561-1040.