HomeNewsArticle Display

PCS season: Are you ready?

SPANGDAHLEM AIR BASE, Germany -- The summer months may increase the number of people who will move to and from Spangdahlem.

There are many organizations that take a role in the out-processing procedure and help with the transition to a new location.

Before moving to another base, take a look at the out-processing checklist located on the virtual military personnel flight page. The checklist can be used as a guide to ensure all proper protocols are followed during the permanent change of station process. The member should be proactive with the moving process to provide a safe and easy transition.

Some sections to keep in mind when moving are housing, customs, finance, outbound assignments and household goods. Each of these offices should be contacted because of the specific rules and regulations that must be followed accordingly.

Before arriving at a base, get in contact with an assigned sponsor. He or she is responsible for helping newcomers get settled in and will make reservations for lodging or with the dormitory leader, if staying in the dorms.

When bringing personal property to a foreign country, avoid bringing raw food products, untreated wood and skins or raw leather. Raw foods can be consumed on an aircraft but must be disposed of upon arrival. If there is an interest in bringing a paintball or airsoft gun, make sure that it complies with the countries standards. Also, owners of weapons that are used for display must ensure they are completely demilitarized and cannot be restored to working condition.

Upon arrival, make a stop at the base finance office. They will need two copies of orders and any receipts associated with official travel, according to Staff Sgt. Lloyd Mayberry, 52nd Comptroller Squadron travel team lead. This will ensure entitlements are started and travel expenses are reimbursed. Visit http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/travelreg.cfm to reference travel regulations.

Outbound Assignments
Check with the outbound assignments office regarding out-processing. They can help answer questions associated with orders and assignments. Email them with questions at 52fss.fsmpdcareer@us.af.mil.

Household Goods
Before moving to a new location, register for an account at http://www.move.mil/ to ship personal property. A regulated amount of weight for shipping is allotted in accordance to rank and amount of dependents. Once the shipment arrives, the movers will send notification for pick up. The traffic management office offers a mandatory briefing prior to receiving the goods, according to Senior Airman Douglas Stubblebine, 52nd Logistics Readiness Squadron personal property counselor.

There are a number of variables that come in to play when it comes to a move, each with an office available for answers with concerns regarding out-processing and moving. Also, visit the virtual military personnel flight page for numbers and contact information along with an out-processing checklist.