Colonel Ed LaGrou is the Commander, 52d Medical Group, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany. His command consists of 330 personnel in four squadrons with a $12M budget, the oversight of a Limited Scope Medical Treatment Facility of 70 personnel located at Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base, Germany, and providing medical support to nineteen geographically separated units. As commander, he develops programs and policies to guide coordination of local, regional and host nation health care for 10 thousand beneficiaries in five countries. Colonel LaGrou directs medical aspects of the Personnel Reliability Program for four GSUs in Northern Europe and deployment medicine for Europe's most heavily deployed fighter wing.
Colonel LaGrou has deployed twice in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and once in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel. He has held various positions in the Air Force Medical Service Corps and three squadron commands, one of which was while deployed to Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan. Colonel Lagrou is board certified in healthcare management and contingency planning. He holds a Masters degree in Administration and a Masters in Military Operational Art & Science. He and his wife Mary have two adult children, Hope and Brandon.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Business Management, University of Maryland, Asian Division
2000 Master of Science, Administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
2009 Master of Military Operational Art & Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Interagency Institute for Federal Health Care Executives, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1995 - August 1998, Chief, Medical Resource Management, 92 MDG, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
2. August 1998 - August 2002, Chief, Manpower & Staffing Branch, HQ AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. August 2002 - August 2005, Flight Commander, Business Ops & Benefit Services, 3 MDG, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (November 2002- June 2003, Administrator, 40 EMDG, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory)
4. August 2005 - July 2008, Chief, Manpower & Equipment Force Packaging Branch, HQ ACC, Langley AFB, Va. (December 2007- June 2008, Chief, Patient Admin & Evacuation, 455 EMDSS, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
5. August 2008 - June 2009, Student, Air Command & Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 2009 - July 2011, Chief, Medical Readiness Force Planning, HQ AF, Office of the Surgeon General, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. July 2011 - July 2013, Commander, 35 MDSS/35 MDG Administrator, Misawa Air Base (AB), Japan
8. July 2013- July 2016, Commander, 96 MDSS, Eglin AFB, Fla. (October 2015- April 2016, Commander/Deputy Commander, 455 EMDOS/455 EMDG, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
9. August 2016- July 2017, Chief, Medical Readiness Division, Office of the Command Surgeon, HQ USAFE-AFAFRICA, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. July 2017 - Present, Commander, 52nd Medical Group, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 10 Oak Leaf Clusters
AF Commendation Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
AF Achievement Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with 2 Devices
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Board Certified, American Academy of Medical Administrators
Fellow, American College of Contingency Planners
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant September 14, 1995
First Lieutenant September 14, 1997
Captain September 14, 1999
Major May 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2009
Colonel June 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2017)